Sex abuse claims

If you can tick 'Yes' to any of the following, we can help:


        Are you accusing someone of sexual abuse?


        Are you scared of being questioned by the police?

        Are you doubtful about whether you want a prosecution?

        Is your alleged abuser planning to appeal against a conviction?

        Are you thinking of bringing a claim for personal injury?

        Are you planning to divorce your spouse?

        Do you want to limit someone's access to your children?

        Were there errors in the conduct of the police or CPS in your case?

        Do you want to sue for defamation or damages?

        Has your employment been affected?

        Were any agencies negligent in the handling of your situation?

        Do you want to challenge false claims about you in the media?

        Do you want to have false social media claims about you removed?

        Are you facing insolvency as a result of dealing with these claims?

        Has your confidentiality been breached or your data compromised?

Listen here to what our Head of Legal Practice has to say to you about how we can help you in the midst of these unfortunate circumstances:


If you are a complainant in a sex abuse case, it is crucial that you use the correct channels to make your allegations. We would never wish to interfere with that process as - for your sake - it's important that your case is not 'contaminated' by outside interference in any way.

You may also be confused about how the impact of your allegations is as far reaching as it can be - not only can you find yourself involved in a criminal prosecution, you may be facing concerns at work based on your performance or absences on sick leave or you may find yourself being 'outed' on social media. Some complainants can end up in the Press or may even face questions from social services about their parenting. You may not have anticipated any of this, particularly as you see yourself as the one to whom harm has been caused.

What we can do is to offer initial advice and guidance to you if you are unsure of how to proceed. Although you will find following a list of people and organisations who can help and support you, we know that it can help to speak to someone who is able to give you an overview of your options from all angles - legal, pastoral as well as from a 'handling' point of view.


The latter may particularly affect you if you are in the public eye or if you are making allegations against someone in the public eye.


Our Head of Legal Practice used to be a Senior Prosecutor. She has wide ranging experience in conducting internal investigations, including into the handling of sexual impropriety complaints within a major political Party. Her knowledge of safeguarding and child protection as a Link Governor as well as her leadership roles within organisations devoted to fighting for the rights of minority groups, especially women, make her ideally placed to evaluate your situation from a wide-ranging perspective. And being a public figure herself, she is able to help you decide how to take your complaint forward with the benefit of her understanding, not only of the law, but of the media impact on you and your loved ones.


If you want to book a consultation with our Head of Legal Practice, you can do so by calling or emailing her (just click on the links).


Otherwise, you can contact the following for help (note that they may seem to be woman-centred, but help is offered to all): 

The Police:


0808 800 5000 (24 hours, every day)

NHS Choices

Sexual Abuse Referral Centres

Rape Crisis:

0808 802 9999 (12-2:30 and 7-9:30)

Victim Support:

0808 168 9111

RASAC (Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre):

0808 802 9999 (12-2.30 & 7-9.30)

Women Against Rape

The Survivors Trust Helpline: 0808 801 0818

Women's Aid Federation

0808 2000 247 (24 hours)

Survivors UK – Male Rape and Sexual Abuse Support

Age UK

Foreign & Commonwealth Office -

Rape Crisis Network

Citizen's Advice Bureau

Law Works -

Rights of Women -

The Free Representation Unit -

Civil Legal Advice

Law Centres Network



'Greycoat Law' is the trading name of Greycoat Barristers' Chambers, regulated by The General Council of the Bar, registration number 7739.

We are registered with the Information Commissioner's Office, registration number ZA058978.

218 Strand





(T) +44 (0)20 8989 9111


© 2012 to date, Greycoat Law

All rights reserved